- Calculate the standard free-energy change for each of the following reactions:
- Cl2 + 2 Br- → 2 Cl- + Br2
- 3 S2O82- + 2 MnO2 + 4 H2O → 6 SO42- + 2 MNO4- + 8 H+
- For each of the following species determine the oxidation state of the Mn.
KMnO4, MnO2, MnCl2
- Which species is the best oxidizing agent?
- Which species is most easily reduced?
- Will zinc metal reduce MnCl2 to elemental manganese?
- Diagram a cell that uses elemental zinc in one half reaction and MnO4- in the other. Be sure to label all parts, give the direction of electron flow, and give the polarity of the electrodes.
- What is the standard cell potential for the cell described in part e?
- What is the standard free energy change for the cell described in part e?
- Balance the following equations:
- in acid solution Cr3+ + ClO3- → Cr2O72- + ClO2
- in basic solution Cl2 → Cl- + ClO-
- What weight of chromium will be plated from a solution of Cr(NO3)3 by a current of 6.0 A in 2.0 hr?
- Diagram an electrolytic cell that contains an aqueous solution of cupric chloride.
- What products are formed at each electrode?
- How many grams of the product formed at the cathode will be produced by a current of 1 A operating for 4 hours?