Problem Set 7
A compound contains carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.
- Examine the proton-decoupled carbon-13 spectrum and determine the functional group.
- How many chemically equivalent carbons are there in the aliphatic region? What other information can be obtained from the chemical shifts of these peaks?
- Take a look at the proton spectrum below and determine whether there is more than one alkyl group in the molecule.
- One of these carbons appears at fairly high frequency, about 67 ppm. What does this indicate?
- Now make a rough sketch of the proton spectrum that you would expect for each of the four different types of butyl groups.
- Identify the compound.