Problem Set 6
A compound contains carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen.
- List the most likely functional groups for this compound.
- Look at the proton-decoupled carbon-13 spectrum below and determine what functional group is present.
- How many chemically equivalent aliphatic carbons are present?
- One of these carbons appears at fairly high frequency, about 67 ppm. What does this indicate?
- Now look at the proton spectrum below. Notice that there are four major sets of peaks (other than TMS). One of the peaks is a singlet. What does this suggest?
- The other three peaks consist of two triplets and an even-membered multiplet, probably a sextet. What group would give this type of pattern?