- According to the Bohr model, what is the lowest angular momentum that an electron in the hydrogen atom could have? What is the next lowest value of angular momentum? What, according to Bohr, causes a change in the angular momentum?
- If a hydrogen atom has the following electron (the electron is designated with an x) configuration:
how many lines would be expected in its emission spectrum?
- What neutral atom is represented by the diagram below? Is the atom in its ground state? How many lines would be expected in its emission spectrum?
- Which of the following sets of quantum numbers are not allowed?
- n = 0, l = 0, m = 0
- n = 3, l = 2, m = 0
- n = 3, l = 3, m = 0
- n = 3, l = 2, m = -3
- Which of the following transitions requires the greatest amount of energy?
- from a 3d to a 4s orbital
- from a 3s to a 3p orbital
- from a 1s to a 2s orbital
- from a 1s to a 2p orbital
- One electron resides in a 4s orbital, another resides in a 2p orbital in the same atom. Which electron has the lower energy? Which electron has a higher probability of being farther from the nucleus? Which electron is spherically "distributed" about the nucleus?
- The following diagram gives the energy level diagram for all orbitals of the elements on the planet Obfuscate. The principal quantum number for the lowest energy orbital is 1; the principal quantum number of the next two lowest energy orbitals is 2; the principal quantum number of the highest three orbitals is 3.
- Give the relationship between n, l, and m.
- An atom of some element on Obfuscate contains eight electrons. Give the electron configuration for this atom.
- Calculate the ionization energy of the atom in part b in kJ/mole.